Whether you’re just fed up with getting tangled up in the jungle of cables handing from your gaming rig, or simply in search of a smoother gaming experience – finding the best Bluetooth adapter for PC gaming is a must in 2020.
In today’s day and age – the majority of wireless gear and gadgets rely on Bluetooth technology to communicate with your PC. And while just about any adapter can get the job done – when it comes to gaming, having a quick, seamless action response is everything!
So to help you on your quest of sorting through the myriad of Bluetooth adapters, we’ve put together this quick guide. Below, we’ll cover all the ins and outs you’ll have to keep in mind, compare some of the best Bluetooth adapters on the market, and give you a little peek into how Bluetooth technology works.
Let’s dive right in!
The 5 Best Bluetooth Adapters For Gaming At A Glance
Before we dive into reviewing and comparing some of the best Bluetooth adapters on the market this year, let’s take a quick gander at the models we’ll be covering in this article.
All of the products that we feature in this article are independently tested & chosen by our editors. FragMeta may receive a commission on any products you buy through the links in this article.
Our Favorite Bluetooth Adapters In 2020 Reviewed
Now that we’ve had a quick peek at some of the Bluetooth adapters that we’ll be covering, let’s dive deeper to see what they’re really all about and how well they stack up against one another.
1. ASUS BT400 USB Bluetooth Adapter – The Best All-Around Option
Whether you’re a die-hard gamer or not, if you’ve been living above-board over the last few decades, you likely already know ASUS as one of the cornerstone computing equipment brands out on the market.
And while they’re mainly known for their high-end monitors and some of the best motherboards for i9-9900K processors these days, we’re happy to report that their BT-400 Bluetooth USB adapter definitely lives up to their rock-solid reputation.
This superb USB 2.0 Bluetooth dongle is incredibly simple to use – just plug and play!
Here’s the best bit – it’s incredibly affordable and is actually priced toe-to-toe with cheaper off-brand alternatives, while featuring stable and fast long range Bluetooth connectivity, even on Windows 10.
The upsides at a glance:
- Solid Bluetooth 4.0 signal over long range and nearby setups.
- Seamless, lightning-fast connectivity for instant wireless PC gaming response.
- No hassle setup on Windows 10 machines – just plug and play.
- Bluetooth Low Energy technology built-in.
- Very affordably priced!
2. Avantree DG40SA Windows 10 Bluetooth Adapter
If you’ve already done away with old machines running on Windows 7 or Windows 8 in favor of the new and improved Windows 10 flavors of 2020 – this USB Bluetooth Adapter is actually a pretty darn good option.
This wireless dongle relies on Bluetooth 4.0 ERD connectivity and packs a driver auto-installer alongside well-done Bluetooth Low Energy tech. Allowing you to connect a whole host of Bluetooth devices like wireless keyboards, wireless headphones, mice, consoles, and so forth.
However, we’re talking about gaming here, aren’t we? So how does the response time clock in?
Despite being a relatively unknown brand, Avantree definitely managed to make one of the best Bluetooth adapters here. The DG40SA is seamless, and we had absolutely zero response delay or dropped signals during our testing.
So if the ASUS BT-400 Bluetooth dongle isn’t quite up your alley (or in your budget range), this is a very solid and worthwhile alternative!
However, there are some downsides to this one. Namely, it doesn’t work with Windows 7 or Windows 8, as well as PS4 and Xbox One consoles – so you may be a little limited in your options there.
The upsides at a glance:
- Around 10 meters of long range connectivity thanks to seamless Bluetooth 4.0 technology.
- Supports a wide range of Bluetooth devices like mice, keyboards, headphones and etc.
- Economical power usage via Low Energy tech.
- One of the more affordable Bluetooth USB adapter options.
3. Rocketek Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter For PC Gaming
If you’re looking for a versatile option when it comes to the best Bluetooth adaptor for all sorts of operating systems, gadgets, and Bluetooth devices – the Rocketek Bluetooth 4.0 adapter is probably exactly what you’re looking for.
From supporting legacy OS like XP, Vista, and Windows 7, to some of the most obscure Windows 10 Bluetooth devices out there today, this handy long range dongle has got you covered in practically any situation. However, it’s not quite compatible with Mac devices (yet) due to the fact that Macs rely on built-in Bluetooth adaptors of their own.
The connectivity is great, and the response-time was on-par with most other adapters that we tested.
One important thing to note is that Windows 10 generally recognizes the drives on its own – but older flavors of Windows needed a manual install. Thankfully, Rocketek recognizes this and sends you a handy driver CD along with the Bluetooth adapter unit.
The upsides at a glance:
- Supports older Windows operating system versions and many different devices.
- 10 meter USB adapter range over Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity.
- Compact design, solid build quality, and 2-year-long warranty from Rocketek.
4. Creative BT-W2 Portable Bluetooth Audio USB Adapter
While versatile generic Bluetooth adapters are fun and all, what if you need something specifically for low-latency, crystal clear audio transmitted over Bluetooth connectivity?
The BT-W2 USB Bluetooth adapter by Creative comes with APTX low latency audio codec built-in alongside Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity to deliver seamless audio and amazing quality in a compact design that’s built for total convenience.
In addition to this, it also has a dedicated Voice-Channel for any devices that support the APTX-LL and FastStream audio codec bundles over Bluetooth technology.
And here’s the best bit – it doesn’t just work with your standard lineup of Windows devices and other USB Bluetooth devices. This dongle supports consoles like the PS4 and even the Nintendo Switch. How awesome is that?
The upsides at a glance:
- Best Bluetooth adapter for crystal clear audio via the APTX-LL codec.
- Features a dedicated Voice-Back channel on supporting USB Bluetooth headsets and microphone devices.
- Easy installation and low power usage for total efficiency, just plug it in and it’s good to go.
- Compatible with a wide range of USB devices, and even the Nintendo Switch via a C-OTG adapter.
5. Techkey USB Bluetooth 5.0 USB Adapter For Gaming & High Data Transfer
What if the feature you’re after in your Bluetooth adapter is high data transfer speeds? Well, then we’ve got just what you need!
The Techkey Bluetooth USB adapter supports up to 3Mbps in transfer speeds over a 10-meter range all across your home thanks to the fact that it uses the newest Bluetooth connectivity that supersedes Bluetooth 4.0. So whether you need the stable connectivity for audio streaming or intense gaming sessions, this is probably the best Bluetooth adapter when it comes to lightning fast data transmission over Bluetooth technology.
It supports just about every flavor of the Windows operating system, from XP to the modern 10 and even most modern consoles too. However, it doesn’t currently support 2.4Ghz devices.
All in all, it’s a great option if you’re looking for a Low Energy or high data transfer adapter for Bluetooth technology enabled devices.
The upsides at a glance:
- One of the best Bluetooth adapters for high data transfer devices (up to 3Mbps speeds).
- Seamless Low Energy connectivity and wide range of supported devices.
- Solid and seamless response time with a range of up to 10 meters.
- 2-year manufacturer warranty on your Bluetooth adapter from Techkey.
Everything You Need To Know About Picking Out The Best Bluetooth Adapter
Now that we’ve covered the 5 best Bluetooth adapters that you’ll find on the market in today’s day and age – let’s cover some of the ins and outs that make for a good adapter. Understanding this information will help you differentiate between the creme-de-la-creme options and sub-par models on your search for the best Bluetooth adapters.
What Is A Bluetooth Adapter And How Does It Work?
First and foremost – what is Bluetooth? This technology allows wireless devices to transmit information between one another across short distances. From Low Energy audio transmission to mesh networking – Bluetooth adapters are at the heart of many of today’s wireless technologies.
However, not all devices come with Bluetooth connectivity enabled by default!
And that’s exactly where we get to the adapter part. Bluetooth USB adapters allow devices that don’t otherwise have the technology built-in to communicate with other devices wirelessly.
Effectively it’s a small dongle or key that plugs into the USB port on whichever device you plan to have connected. This allows you to hook up peripherals like wireless keyboards, mice, headsets, a Raspberry PI, and even your phone.
Convenience aside, Bluetooth adapters have many practical technological applications in the modern world and they’re a staple in just about any computer setup these days.
What Are The Qualities To Look For In The Best Bluetooth Adapter For Gaming?
While we’ve already covered some of the benefits of the individual units and models that we featured earlier in the article – let’s talk about some of the key factors that make a Bluetooth adapter a great fit for your gaming setup.
- Fast Data Transfer Speeds – The last thing you need is input lag or glitchy connectivity while you’re gaming away. As such, you’ll want to keep your eyes peeled for a Bluetooth adapter that features data transfer speeds of at least 2.7Mbps in order to keep up with most modern PC gaming situations and builds.
- Low Energy Usage – At the end of the day, you don’t want your Bluetooth adapter to be soaking up power for no reason. This isn’t good for the adapter itself as well as your PC in the long run. As such, you’ll want to find a Bluetooth adapter that has Low Energy technology built-in.
- Plug & Play – While many manufacturers are still happy to send you a CD with the drivers for your Bluetooth adapter, very few modern gaming PC setups even feature a CD or DVD drive these days. That’s why you should be on the lookout for adapters that come with automatic driver installers programmed in to make sure that your setup is a total walk in the park (and you’ll never have to deal with random driver failures or device disassociation).
- BONUS: Built-In Audio Codecs – While it’s certainly not mandatory seeing how high the average wireless audio quality is these days, it’s still nice to enjoy crisp crystal clear sound. It will help you communicate with teammates better, and it’ll improve your overall gaming experience by leaps and bounds. Generally, you should be looking at a Bluetooth adapter with APTX or FastStream codecs built-in.
Bluetooth Adapter FAQ
If you’ve stuck it out with us this far into our guide – you should now be pretty much set for picking out the best Bluetooth adapter for PC gaming.
However, if you don’t feel all too ready to go out shopping – have a look at some of the burning questions that our readers and other internet denizens have about picking out the best Bluetooth adapter for their Windows devices.
How Can I Add Bluetooth To My Gaming PC?
If your Windows gaming PC is in dire need of a comfort upgrade – getting a Bluetooth adapter for your rig might just be the answer you’re looking for.
Generally, you’ll just need to plug in the adapter into your Windows PC – and once the drivers install automatically you’ve now got the functionality to connect any of your multiple devices such as a keyboard, mouse, or headset.
However, make sure that you check for USB compatibility and whether or not your Windows version is supported.
Are Bluetooth Adapters & Micro Adapters Different?
While the terms may be coined a bit differently – a micro adapter is simply a more compact design, compared to some of the older (and clunkier) products that were designed with antennas for the best network connectivity and wireless performance between different devices at the time. I’ll let you imagine how silly that would look on your PC.
Is A Bluetooth Adapter For Your PC Good?
While some PC’s and laptops come with built-in Bluetooth functionality, many people are reliant on these handy wireless dongles to connect their favorite devices to their PC.
But, did you know that a USB adapter is barely any different from a built-in one? After all, both types of devices rely on the same technology – one is external, while the other isn’t.
So in a nutshell, there are no downsides to having one hooked up to your Windows PC, gaming console, or USB-enabled device if you want it to be able to communicate with other wireless Bluetooth enabled devices.
Which Bluetooth Adapter Is The Best For My PC?
When it comes to picking out the best adapter to get Bluetooth connectivity on your computer – we personally recommend the ASUS BT-400.
After quite a bit of testing and comparing it with other top adapter models, the differences are minute. But they’re still there. We had a much easier time connecting all of our wireless devices and the connectivity was stellar. It also does well in the sound department and has great data transfer speeds.
So all in all, if you want the best adapter, this Bluetooth USB dongle is just about the best thing since sliced bread.
And there you have it!
In today’s guide, we’ve introduced you to our top picks for the 5 best options when it comes to finding the best Bluetooth adapter on the market for all of your devices.
Now that we’ve laid out our cards – it’s our turn to hear from you.
What Bluetooth devices do you plan to get hooked up with your brand new USB dongle? Let us know in the comments below!